Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Worse Instead of Better

Are we going to learn before it's too late? I start to think not. For every scrap of awareness I think might be out there, we come up with 15 new and wasteful products.

Cat added for size reference :) 
Oh, sure, I've railed against these before. But they haven't gone away yet! They are still everywhere! My co-worker had this one and has stated she will never get them again. For the amount of waste, they are not as good as they should be, taste-wise, or amount-wise. We looked closely to notice the recycling code on it is a number 5. Those numbers don't currently get recycled. We only process 1's and 2's. So, all these bajillion plastic things just end up... somewhere other than our homes.

Oh, sure, you can reuse them. But how many can you possibly keep around to use? How many possible reuses are there? If you eat more than a few of these a month, what are you doing with them?

Oh, sure, they are convenient. Quick lunch on the go. But you are super-heating these in the microwave. Do you not think some of those chemicals from said plastic, whatever they are, BPA or no, are leeching into your meal? (I keep using "leech" vs "leach" because I like the image it brings to mind, but I suppose I should use the right one, lest someone try to call me on it. OK fine. Darn it. Leech is more fun.)

Oh, sure, we're so busy that we have to grab these things for lunches. Eat at our desks. Too too busy to make something over the weekend to package and bring in all week, even though that is so much healthier. How many chemicals are in these thing before we even talk about the plastic? I prefer to make a batch of rice or quinoa or pasta to jazz up and bring in all week. Isn't that smarter? Healthier? Cheaper? Better for everyone all around?

But... but it says "healthy choice" right on the box. Silly Green Witch. Why can't I believe what's right in front of me? Sure.

4 comments:

  1. Oh how I hate when companies give us so much crap in packages. Or they create useless products that are just trying to get money out of stupid lazy people. I threw a fit over those stupid Kleenex hand towel things. Plus all these convenience lunches have these tiny portions of junk that never fills you up, you end up hungry right after you finish eating it. I much rather make something I know I will like for lunch, and use my own dishes. I mean would you rather eat fake junk, or yummy fried rice with veggies for lunch??? It takes the same amount of time to make....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the rant I did about those STUPID hand towel things? I'll re-post that one! Because they are STILL OUT THERE!!! STOP BUYING THEM, PEOPLE!!! AARRG!!!

      :) Thank you so much for reading and posting! I love your comments.

      Delete
    2. I love your posts! I caught your show on Itunes awhile back and I was hooked. Your awesome! And thanks again for the glasses website I love my new glasses! So going that route from now on... :)

      Delete
  2. I do have a few of this kind of food packaging in my survival packs. Lightweight and give you access to food once you find water. If really stranded, these can give you the calories needed to setup more permanent resource gathering. They are cheaper than MREs and last just about as long if unopened.

    They aren't something I would purchase for regular consumption though. My wife has had to eat these when she is stranded at work due to flooding, fire or snow and is not fond of them. I make sure she has a minimum of 3 days worth of food in her car at all times. Better packaging would be nice though.

    ReplyDelete