Sunday, April 29, 2012

Whose Healthy Choice?

ConAgra does it again. Yummy, delicious, natural, and most importantly, convenient!!! Healthy Choice has a great healthy choice for you for lunch! Healthy Choice 100% Natural No Preservatives frozen meal. Vegetarian. Pumpkin Squash Ravioli. All natural, pronounceable ingredients. Only 310 calories. What a great meal. So healthy.

For... whom? Well, for us, to eat, of course. What can be bad about this? Surely, nothing! No weird bad chemicals. No artificial flavors or colors or preservatives. Must be great... except... except for the lovely crap from the plastic tray leaching into your food as it steams in the microwave. We quite frankly have NO idea what could be coming outta that tray and into your food. Remember when we didn't know what BPA was? (Of course, there are plenty who STILL don't know... SIGH) To think it's fine, perfectly safe... I find that short-sighted.

Seriously. Can we stop pretending and believing that anything that comes packaged in plastic and frozen and conveniently prepares in the microwave so we never have to step away from our cubicles for lunch is ANYTHING but RIDICULOUS? I know, I know, we are SO busy that this really is the best way to handle lunch. I know, I know, we can't be bothered to actually MAKE something over the weekend to freeze and package and take to lunch all week. That would require... well, time. It's really SO LITTLE plastic that surely, we can give it a pass, right? And after all, we'll recycle it!

(No matter that it still takes OIL to produce the plastic in the first place...)

Will we? The un-Healthy-er Choice regular black trays are a #1 or #2. I cannot recall, and since I don't buy them, I can't look. These white trays in the super healthy natural "meal" are a #5. Not many municipalities do anything with this type of plastic yet. Again, my old tired recording, just because you throw it in the bin doesn't mean it gets recycled. If there is not enough money in recycling a particular plastic - if it is more costly to recycle it than it is worth afterwards, it is NOT getting recycled. That is currently the case with anything over #2, so far as I know right now.

So, I inquire: How is this a healthy choice? Healthy for us? Healthy for the planet? Who?

Doesn't matter. These will still be out there, they will still be bought, we are not going stop. It's really getting to the point where we truly deserve what we get.

Just wish the rest of us weren't getting dragged down, too.

12 comments:

  1. I wonder - do all of the plastic Gladware/Rubbermaid/Ziploc things people buy to put our homemade leftovers into also leach chemicals into our food when microwaving? Logic would say yes, so unless folks switch over to portable glass storage to take to work and microwave, the insanity continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to wonder - answer is yes. Absolutely and for sure. Pyrex rules. Or, go ahead and use the lighter plastic to transport, but keep a dish or bowl at work for re-heating. Other countries use Tiffin containers. Love those.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I'll just stick to sandwiches and salads that don't need to be heated up :)

      Delete
  2. So true ... I stay away from microwave stuff fresh food or microwave with glass plates.. no bpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot bring myself to put anything plastic in the microwave anymore. The more you know... the crazier you feel!!!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post! I found your blog when I was looking for a picture for my friend's birthday. Gave you a follow, I'll be sticking around now! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog!
    Because I do eat health choice on occasion, but now I will deffinately think twice!

    It also helps that home cooked food is a bajillion times cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose!

      None of us are perfect, me especially, but when we are aware and try to make a difference, then we win, right?

      Delete