Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Because Water is So Un-Awesome On Its Own

In the world of unnecessary and silly products comes this gem: MiO Liquid Water Enhancer. (Opinion? Of course, But then it's my blog.) I felt it was harmless enough when I first saw it, but I finally looked it up and found it particularly useless on a number of fronts. Or just annoying. Or pointless. I haven't decided its strongest offense yet.

I think they got me right out of the gate by saying, "Water is superb. Except in your glass." Obviously, I am not their target audience, because this whole campaign loses me completely. We have to denigrate water to sell our product? Water? Now, we've been flavoring water for years and years. Kool-Aid? Powdered lemonade, powdered teas, etc. This stuff is a liquid in a tiny little container that is all super-trendy and so easy to carry in a purse, etc, and you squeeze as much as you want into your water.

I guess that's fine. It makes people drink more water, I suppose, and that is always a good thing. Unless they are adding it to plastic-bottled water. And really, it's just a tiny little container. Can you recycle the container? Sure. It's a #7. Except no one really recycles that yet. And oh goodie - there's no sugar in it either. No, it has artificial sweetener in it. Yay! Cuz darn that natural stuff sure is bad. Sure, great for people who have to watch their sugar intake, but do you see what it has in it? Here, let me pull it right out of their FAQ's:

"MiO is sweetened with acesulfame potassium and sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar.Sucralose? Acesulfame potassium? They sound frightening. Don't let the long names scare you. Sucralose is a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Both sucralose and acesulfame potassium, the sweeteners in MiO, are recognized as safe by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the general population, including pregnant women and children."
Hmmm. I chuckle. Everything is fine, until we find out it's not. Who knew what BPA was for years and years? "It's fine!" No, it's not. I try to keep it a rule to not ingest things I cannot pronounce. Sucralose? Sure, I can pronounce it, but what the hell is it??? "Recognized as safe by the FDA"? Uh huh. Somehow, I am not entirely reassured on that count quite yet. Call me cynical.

Whatevs, you know? I just hope it doesn't catch on. Maybe we can all ridicule people who use it? Just PLEASE do not give it to kids. They have enough things happening to them already. We don't need to discover in 20 years that Acesulfame potassium causes the F1 generation to have 11 toes and no hair.

Dig?

2 comments:

  1. This is another one of those products I was at first irritated with. I figured it had all these wonderful dyes in them that we don't need in our bodies, and just adding more chemicals to our bodies. I used to freaking hate water. I couldn't drink it in a glass it had to be plastic or it tasted like dust. Then I got pregnant, and since then I seem to inhale water. I have found if I want flavor in my water, a simple piece of lemon, is great, or how about mint leaves? Make plain old fashioned iced tea even......But no I will not be buying this product when its cheap and great to have my regular water. Even my kids love water. I do buy fast food occasionally, and do you know how awesome it is to drive up and my 3 year old is in the backseat yelling...."YAY!!! I WANT WATER!" I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you share my confusion over this product. I thought I was the only one who thought this product was ridiculous. I'm allergic to food dye so a few drops would equal hives and rashes (I can turn red just like my drink!). I really dislike drinking water on it's own so I make tea or add a lemon like Alethia.

    I've never seen or heard of anyone using Mio. The commercials seem to indicate that anthropomorphic animals at a bar are the target market (?). I'm kinda grossed out by adding a color to a drink that's supposed to taste like something. I wonder if it would make your tongue turn that color. They're pouring a lot into advertising it though so who knows.

    ReplyDelete