Friday, June 4, 2010

Why Don't We?

In thinking about the things we use that are disposable, and the things we use that have perfectly good non-throw-away alternatives, I am forced to ask, "Why don't we use those alternatives?"

Are we just used to the disposable lifestyle? If that's the case, can't we re-accustom ourselves to the alternative? Being the Good Green Witch, I am naturally exposed to many other people who embrace a green, sustainable lifestyle. Are they "better" people? Are they more crafty, more organized, have more time than anyone else? No, I don't think so. Do they care or think a little more? Maybe... but I like to think more people care than do not.

I don't have the answers. I'm just feeling my own way around out here. If I had all the answers, I'm sure I would disappear from the face of the Earth. So when I ask, "Why don't we?", I got nuthin'. I know, I know for sure in my heart I just know that we CAN. But we don't. We need to.

We CAN stop using plastic utensils. That's easy. Even if one finds one cannot avoid them altogether, cutting back is REALLY easy. One just has to put one's mind to it. (Aye, there's the rub?) And paper napkins. Surely, this one is just a matter of convenience. Cloth napkins are so much better. I can't even stand the bleach-chemical smell of some paper napkins anymore. Cloth napkins don't have to be fancy and don't have to be for special use and are very easy to have around. Same thing with hankies. We adjusted VERY quickly to hankies in our home. Now we don't even dream of using a Kleenex. I carry a hankie in my purse, which will nicely double as a napkin if I am caught in a napkin-pinch situation. (Use your imagination on that one if you wish. I'll wait.)

I truly believe that is is just a simple matter of setting our minds to it and doing it. We're a smart group. We can do this. We can form new habits and end bad ones. I know we can.

We have to.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right that a big part of it is thinking things through ahead of time.

    Otherwise, you will be caught at the grocery store without your reusable bag, at the school picnic without your reusable water bottle, wishing you weren't so thirsty and those bottled waters weren't staring you down!

    It can definitely be done! Corporate America has spent a lot of money on marketing to try to convince us that we need all of those disposable items...the latest being the disposable hand towels that we 'need' because our towel is too dirty.

    Lots of us fall into the trap of believing that disposable = easier when it isn't always the case and even if it is, is it worth the trade-offs?

    Keep spreading the word and leading by example! People notice and get empowered by what you do and start believing that they can do it, too.

    And you're right...we can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete