Saturday, September 3, 2011

There's many a man has more hair than wit.

This one'll cause a stir...

It's been a long time since I last colored my hair. I've colored it black (did that for awhile), I've tried the whole Sun-In thing on it back in the day (what a rip-off) and I've covered the emerging greys. Heck I tried to get it to platinum for a time. Hint: very dark hair does not go gentle into THAT good night. I burned it with bleach, I very nearly shaved it off (that was actually a very fun look - I discovered I have not one cow-lick and a very nicely-shaped head!), and since have enjoyed a very short cut. So now I don't have to blow it dry, or iron it - it was just wavy enough in this dry climate to be annoying instead of "pretty" - or condition it or use a ton of products. Suffice to say, my hair is very green. Not in color, but in upkeep. I had perms when those were all the rage. I've used everything conceivable on it. Ugh. So many chemicals, so many products, so much plastic...

Do I miss long flowing locks, my hair blowing in the breeze, my hair getting stuck under my purse strap, shaking my head and feeling my hair flow? On occasion. Mostly I just like my easy hair. I like that I do not use a lot of product. I wash it with baking soda and rinse it with apple cider vinegar. I use a little stuff in it. I enjoy every single grey hair and I wish I had more of them. I can't wait til my hair is completely white. Want. My hair is frosted by Mother Nature and kissed by Time. And I love it.

This puts me in a weird place, though. I can spot a color job a mile away. (Many times, dyed hair does not reflect light and just looks plain bad. I even have my husband seeing it.) When I see someone of an age that SHOULD have grey hair and does not, I get a little... a little... what do I get? Well, I wonder WHY, I guess. Oh Vanity. I certainly don't disparage people for coloring their hair, after all, most people I know do so, but I just... yeah, I just wonder why. What's so wrong with grey? White? Why this thing, so prevalent in society?  Brazilian Blowouts?? That's formaldehyde, people. It's TOXIC. Hair color? Chemicals. Chemicals that burn and you have to wear gloves to handle. And we willfully and joyfully put this stuff ON our SKIN. THINK about it. All for... what? Because Society has this weird notion about grey hair?

But it goes on and on for me from there... Hair is any easy thing to change when we want to do something different. That's probably grist for another post, though. I could go on and on. And, you know, it's certainly not for me to say what YOU want to do with your hair.

Or is it? People can't smoke cigarettes in places because it affects the health of others. What about this? That a whole lotta chemicals going into MY environment, not to mention the plastic... the water usage... when is it for me to say? When is what our right to say something about something? What's the line? Where's the line?

Interesting.... Looking forward to some good comments here.

Oh, and thanks to Bill Shakespeare for the title.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post. I have grey and white hair sprouting everywhere, and being only 34 I do feel a bit odd about it (although I know I shouldn't), and I had decided to colour it with an all natural henna and indigo mix. Although I do wonder why i'm being so vain and so have put off colouring it while my paper bag of lovely plant powder remains untouched since purchase. I have very long dark brown hair and haven't coloured or altered it in about twenty years. Hmm. Will I open my dye packet now or not..... A dilemma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start looking around... Your natural hair shines in the sun! Notice whose hair does not! Even natural products like henna require a lot of water use... Will you stand out or be one of the many? :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought a lot about this... I haven't dyed my hair in a year and am getting the itch again. Although Aveda's hair dyes are 'somewhat' less chemically derived, it's still a whole mess of chemicals dumped into my hair, skin and down the drain.
    And I don't even have grey hairs, I just have really mousy brown hair. boring. lol.

    that said- I've resisted the urge. Yay me! hah.

    This is a great topic! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I haven't dyed my hair in at least five years - maybe ten...I can't remember. I got a little bored earlier this year and tried henna (the pure henna, not the type with henna and chemicals together) and I LOVED it. Just as fun as dye! Something I will try again in ten years when I get bored again! ;)

    ReplyDelete