Saturday, September 17, 2011

UGH the commercial I just saw...

...sent me straight in to my computer.

FINISH® JET-DRY® TURBO DRY®The new Jet-Dry commercial... or whatever the heck they call that stuff now (don't have a dishwasher, son't want one), shows a chick pulling a glass out of the dishwasher and getting thoroughly disgusted by "spots." She then proceeds to THROW the GLASS in the GARBAGE CAN. (Which, by the way, is nicely lined with a black trash bag. Subliminal sales.) Oh, but don't worry: they flash the word, "Dramatization" at the beginning, and they also say "Don't try this at home" as she flips the wine glass into her nice stainless steel garbage can.

I know. Just a commercial. But what is this saying???

Nothing, Rhonda. It's not saying anything. It's just a dumb commercial trying to sell a chemical that takes spots off your glasses that wouldn't have them on there if you washed them by hand. But we're too busy. It's a pain in the ass. My hands might get dry from the detergent. I'm too busy. Dishes are germy and they have to be sanitized in the dishwasher. There's just not enough time. It's a pain in the ass to have to actually WASH dishes. Oh, wait, I repeated myself in there somewhere.

Do you even know what's IN that stuff??? I don't. What makes your glasses dry ultra-fast after they get bombarded by other chemicals? More chemicals, that much I know. Really? So that we don't have some harmless stupid spots on glasses? So that we don't have to towel-dry stuff after it goes through the dishwasher?

I've never really quite gotten on board with the whole piling chemicals on top of other chemicals to do something I'm too busy/lazy to do. Oh, wait, here's what's in it:


WaterDiluent
Trideceth-4Nonionic Surfactant
Magnesium ChlorideNone
Propylene GlycolSolvent
Alcohols AlkoxylatesNonionic Surfactant
Sodium Cumene SulfonateHydrotrope
Citric AcidComplexing/Sequestering Agent
Zinc AcetateNone
Sodium SulfateFiller
Benzophenone-3Other
Tetrasodium EDTAComplexing/Sequestering Agent
Magnesium NitrateStabilizer
Acid Blue 9Colorant
MethylchloroisothiazolinonePreservative
Magnesium ChlorideStabilizer
MethylisothiazolinonePreservative


Any questions?

I'm good.

5 comments:

  1. You wouldn't think all that chemical garbage would NEED preserving.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh pleeeeeze save me from the scourge of spotty glassware!

    You know... if you care about such things you can achieve the same results with white vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spotty glasses used to make my life hell - until I discovered MORE CHEMICALS!* Yes, MORE CHEMICALS can take away the sheer hell of rinsing your precious glasses yourself!


    *sarcasm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soo, the first (main) ingredient is water? Could this be a clue that if WE use water and rinse the glasses ourselves (gasp - manual labor alert) they might not have spots to begin with? Hmm...

    ;) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do use a dishwasher because you use less water in a dishwasher than the typical person hand washing dishes. But, instead of cleaning my dishes with chemicals, I make my own dishwasher detergent. One part washing soda and one part borax, add one tablespoon into the detergent compartment and tada, the dishes are actually cleaner than when I was too ignorant to realize that washing dishes with chemicals really isn't good for you or the planet. I fill the rinse thingy with white vinegar and the dishes are spotless!

    ReplyDelete