Tuesday, September 6, 2011

White After Labor Day, Or Never?

I heard my step-daughter ask for bleach today. She wanted to do her whites. We don't have bleach in the apartment. I do not have need for it. This made me think, therefore I blog.

Contradiction.
White clothes. I have a few white tees. They don't really stay bright white very long. Because, you know, I don't use bleach. What's the purpose of white clothing? Chef's whites, painter's whites, lab coats, white gloves... does white mean clean ? Pure? I think that's funny, considering the amount of chemicals it takes to keep things bright white. White snow... freshly fallen, bespeaks of purity. Yes, white IS pure. Clean. We are dirty. Life is dirty. There is dirt and dust and grime everywhere. It just is. I'm OK with it.

What material is pure white in the first place? What do we have to do to cotton to get it pure white? I mean, I know keeping it white takes a lot. Is it worth it? Should we phase out white clothing? (In our personal lives, that is. We shouldn't need a LAW.) Do other people have the "right" to have this clean-fetish obsession with white clothes to the point of chemical-dousing the rest of us? There are other things to use to brighten clothing... Lemon, white vinegar, baking soda... how white does white have to be? I know my socks are a touch on the dingy side, because I really don't care so I don't really do the lemon or white vinegar. If someone's judging me on the whiteness of my socks, well then they are the ones with the problem. Not me.

It's pretty easy to avoid white, and then just not really care that much if your socks aren't blinding. I say we re-think the whole white clothing thing. Our priorities are skewed. They really are. You know who loves white clothes? The detergent and chemical companies. Clorox LOVES white clothing. That's about it.

Now you'll be looking around seeing all white clothing. My gift to you today. You're welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I don't wear much white, either, and who cares if my socks and underwear aren't blindingly white? I think it's good to have clothing you can wear without fear of dirt. As you said, life is dirty. Deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a shocking discovery a few years back when my washing machine was having trouble and I was too cheap and lazy to replace it. I started doing my laundry by hand with a laundry plunger and a bucket, using soap and either washing soda or borax with a vinegar rinse instead of detergent.

    I've since capitulated and purchased a fancy schmancy new washer, but here's the thing... the hand washed whites actually got WHITE... something which NEVER happened in either the old or new machine even if I resorted to bleach... which I haven't done for MANY years because A-it never really worked, and B-I don't really care.

    Having white whites isn't something that's ever really mattered to me, but I admit I still occasionally give the washcloths a good lathering with actual soap before I toss them in the machine and the difference is... well, amazing. http://www.photos-public-domain.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/clean-vs-dirty-towel-comparison-600x400.jpg

    I don't know what it means in terms of machines vs. hand washing and soap vs. detergent, but I find it very, VERY interesting! (My brain is off in corporate-marketing-conspiracy-land...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. noteasy, thank you!

    Cat... that's just a whole big huge other road! I didn't even think about it! But as someone who is quite quick to jump on corporate-marketing-conspiracy-land bus, I can see where it would be a mutually-beneficial relationship between corps to have machines do a "less-good" job at cleaning so as to sell more products and chemicals... it's REALLY easy for me to go there. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and cat... forgoing the washer and washing by hand is by no definition LAZY! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't wear a lot of white, as I can guarantee it'll be dirty very quickly.
    As for socks and pants, no one sees them except me and OH, so I don't care if they're not so white you blind people with the dazzle - and any way, life's too short to mess about with bleach!

    I admire your realistic green life, Rhonda, but what do you clean your loo with. Afraid I use bleach, but I'm wondering what a greener alternative is.
    I don't know why I use bleach anyway, I mean, it's not as if I lick the bowl with my tongue or eat my dinner out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then what color jerseys would the Pittsburgh Steelers wear, when they are on the road in Green Bay getting their butts kicked? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth... baking soda is a good deodorizer/scrub for the loo. Lemon or white vinegar is a good disinfectant. Never use baking soda WITH the white vinegar or it's exploding loo for you!!! LOL

    Ignoring Fanboy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you use borax to whiten clothes?

    ReplyDelete