Thursday, September 15, 2011

Garbage In Garage Out Part 2

A lot of people seem to have a deep concern for the safety of their garbage. Either that or they are too nancy to deal with a little mess. When grousing against plastic bags, the inevitable question comes up... what about my garbage can?

Yes. What about it?

Well, I need a bag in there to line it.

Why?

Well... it's...

Gross?? It's garbage. Of course it's gross.

Well don't you...

Nope. I know I can rinse the wastebasket out with very little water if I need to. And ya know what else? I bet you don't have a shortage of bags from other places... chip bags, bags from frozen foods... if you have to be so dainty about what you are throwing away, why not save those for the messy times? Are we SO worried about our garbage that we have to make sure it is tied up and saved for all posterity in plastic in the landfills? Not everything you throw away is gross and messy, so why not assign those to smaller bags? Or if you MUST line your can, why not just dump the garbage out of that into the bigger can, if it's not so terrible?

Ohhh... wait, yeah that's right, I just realized. That might be inconvenient. Because, see, then you would have to bring the can out then bring it back IN to the house. You couldn't just run it out on your way to somewhere. It might take foresight, and planning, and some thinking. That just won't do. What was I thinking.

The water used to rinse out your can a little every so often (I hear the argument already) is nothing compared to the water used to make/transport the bags. So you are reusing ones from the store. How about not ever getting them from the store? The little bit of water used to rinse the can (reasonably, mind you, and I know, that too is a stretch) is nothing compared to disgusting amount of plastic floating in the ocean. And sh*t's not breakin' down in landfills, because we have to protect our garbage at all costs by confining it to plastic bags. Look, the garbage pick-up NEVER touch the stuff anymore; y'ain't protectin' THEM from anything. And the truck don't care neither.

And the title here and in the other? My dad used to write GIGO on the calendar every Thursday. We asked him why. It was to remind him to take the garbage that was in the garage in cans down to the end of the driveway. Garbage in garage out. That was before wheels on cans, when, bless his heart, he had to lug the METAL cans down one at a time. Talk about inconvenient. I feel like maybe we made less garbage in those days.

We were thinner, that's for sure.

4 comments:

  1. What about throwing away your old mail, bank statements, etc., that contain sensitive personal info on them? Even if you shred those documents, and we then supposed to just place them for all the world to see in the garbage? I live in a low-income apartment complex where dumpster diving is not out of the realm of possibility. I therefore secure my garbage in plastic bags so that it is less likely to be sifted through by dumpster-divers around here. The theory there is that it is easier to sift through garbage in a dumpster that is loose and/or exposed, than taking the time to rip through plastic bags and risk being caught by your neighbors. Other than this scenerio, I agree with you on your logic here. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you missed my point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that you mentioned shredding, but did not see it as a viable alternative for garbage bags. I sensed your snark and approved. However the real question you might have been asking eluded me and shut down my sense of logic; therefore, I had nothing.

    ReplyDelete