Tuesday, May 10, 2011

How Can Fruit be Bad?

I'll be frank. (Well, that's my dad, actually.) These things confuse me. I think they are delicious, and they're fresh good healthy fruit, right? There can't be anything wrong with that, can there?

I'm talking about Edible Arrangements. A great and novel alternative to sending boring old flowers. Nice! But then, I see all the silly plastic sticks we have to throw away. So, um, good healthy fresh fruit, dozens and dozens of plastic sticks. I'm so torn!!! What to think? Good, but bad. Can the company take the sticks back to re-use them? Is that illegal because of some health code? Would people largely not return them anyway? Why can't they use something else, like bamboo? It's not like the fruit is meant to stay on the skewers for very long. Is there a splinter issue? Is the plastic just plain cheaper? Have they tried other things? Is it a focus group thing?

It's kind of sad how a fun delicious little gift can cause such angst in my life. Pathetic, actually. It doesn't help that I know certain fruit juices can leech chemicals out of the plastic, not that they are on there very long, but still.

It seems like a good idea and a good company, if they would only ditch the plastic sticks. I mean, I could make a helluva green smoothie after receiving one of these, especially if they use kale for accent. And those chocolate-covered bananas? SOOO yummy. But then the guilt of all those sticks. Sure, I can find some good way to re-use them, but what about everyone else out there who doesn't?

I want to give this two brooms' up, but I think it has to get thrown in the cauldron as a fail. What say you? Too harsh? Simmer down? I'd feel better if there was some kind of exchange program. You know, return the sticks, get a discount on your next delivery...

No, I stand by the bad. Fruit good. Fruit on plastic sticks bad. Easy.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed... and a lot of it is probably fruit that was grown with copious amounts of chemical fertilizers and pesticides, and then been shipped half way across the world. Maybe it's better to stick with the home made muffins or something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, reading your posts is like looking in a mirror, I'm all over these odd but compelling little dilemmas...

    I hadn't thought, honestly of EcoCatLady's concern about pesticides and stuff, but she's totally right...on the other hand, how cool would it be to make one's own local (or homegrown??) edible arrangement for a friend? I mean, local pineapples are hard to come by in Chicago, but it could be really fun and not too hard to make a really nice arrangement. With bamboo skewers. :-)

    ReplyDelete