Thursday, May 26, 2011

Something Vegan This Way Comes

And I liked it.

I know. Don't go into shock.

This past weekend was World Fest LA, a vegan gathering that was open to us omnivores, as well. I did not sample much of the food. And actually, I'll be writing more about vegan food in another post. This post is for praise. I got a goodie bag, and in it were these tiny little samples of some energy bars. I usually find vegan, gluten-free stuff extremely mealy, bland, weirdly textured, etc. So I did no open the Bearded Brothers Colossal Coconut Mango Energy Bar sample with very much enthusiasm. But you know what? For once, I was pleasantly surprised! This tasted very good!

I'm not all anti-everything-vegan, I'm really not. (Just seems that way most times.) But I don't expect much in the way of taste when I look at packaged so-called vegan anything. These raw bars have good texture and taste wonderful and really do make me want to try more. "100% organic snack food company. Handmade with love and joy, in Austin, Texas." Austin is actually intriguing me lately. I hear it's great. These guys are intriguing me. I think I'll hit them up. Sure, they are a little pricey for what I think, but then again, I don't know much about vegan food products. They could be very reasonable. And I'm... frugal. (almost said cheap. which could be true.) But, yes, I am intrigued. Downright yummy. I applaud them. I was ready to go off on the packaging, but I think I will save that for the vegan-food rant I have cooking in my head. (cooking - with bacon grease heh heh heh.) I'm just going to simply like these guys for awhile.

Here's their site: http://www.beardedbros.com/ It's not what you'd call high on information, but it's simple and straightforward, perhaps, as I suspect, they themselves are. Um, straightforward; I don't want to call them "simple." Hah. Yikes, almost got in trouble on that one.

So, there it is. Take it for what it's worth. I won't be this nice in the next one, you can say that twice and mean it.

4 comments:

  1. I've never actually been to Austin myself, but I have friends who absolutely love it. "Keep Austin Weird" is the city's motto... which is awesome.

    I'm too much of a carnivore to ever go vegan...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I can cut back, but there is no appeal to it for me. I prefer sustainable omnivore diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Good Green Witch,
    Thank you for giving vegan snacks another try. The food options really are getting better and better all the time! Which is very exciting for us people who want to live green. I'm sure you know that the raising of animals for food isn't green at all: deforestation, huge waste of water/grain, causes more global warming than all forms of transportation combined, etc. Anyway, thanks again for spreading the word that vegan food can be yummy. Hope to see you at Worldfest next year. With best wishes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Super, but you really won't see me agreeing with a lot here... but I truly thank you for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete