Monday, May 30, 2011

Meat Monologues Part 1: Zuckerberg Method

Vegan Monologues was already taken. I'm not talking about meat here. I'm talking about vegans, and I'll probably get some flak. Oh well.


So the news that shook up the food world this past week was that Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook, revealed that "he is currently only eating meat from animals he has personally killed himself." To that, I say, good for him. That takes some huevos. Vegans, however, are horrified. How can he??? That's BARBARIC!!! How is it different from eating an animal someone else killed? Well, let's see, shall we? For one, he is living an understanding of where his food comes from and is appreciating it more, and is cutting back, and is living much more sustainably. I wish we could all live in such a way that we got rid of factory farming and were much more in touch with our food. (Oh yeah - we could, if we weren't hell-bent on such needless useless rampant over-population. Oops, separate post. I digress.)  It's funny to me how an admitted omnivore makes a mooooove (SORRY! I really couldn't resist. I did try.) towards healthier, more sustainable, more of a vegetarian-based diet, and all the vegans can do is be all horrified and condemn him instead of applauding him.


I'm not saying I will never be a vegan or a vegetarian. I have cut back on the meat, but I have yet to even think about wanting to give it up. I try to be responsible about where it came from. Mr. Z doesn't eat meat in restaurants, just vegetarian foods. Why can't this be a good thing? How about we moooove (didn't even try this time) some of that ire and outrage back to Go-Daddy founder what's-his-name, for needlessly killing elephants? (I could look up his name, but I refuse to give him that much thought. Please look it up. THAT'S bad.) Here, we have someone trying to raise his own awareness, and we have to turn it into a bad thing. OK, not "we"... "they". Yes, I will put up that wall right here. 


Aw hell, I just think it's funny they are lamenting this ON Facebook. Now That's irony. Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. At least he takes personal responsibility for his meat consumption. I bet if he was on an all lettuce diet, the rabbit industry would complain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANOTHER brilliant post! I have such issues with the whole vegan holier than thou thing. I could write a novel so I won't even start.

    I must say though... having to kill your own food makes you think twice. My ex was really into fishing. One time I went with him and caught a HUGE trout... which he made me kill.

    I was supposed to hit its head on a rock to kill it, but apparently I didn't hit it hard enough and only stunned it - this is probably because I was sobbing uncontrollably the whole time. We put it in the cooler and then on the way home it came back to life and started flopping around. To this day the "tell tale trout" still gives me nightmares! Flip flop, flip flop, flip flop...

    ReplyDelete
  3. EcoCat... I pretty much love you!!! Tell tale trout. HAH!!!

    One of the biggest guilt things I ever did was throw a fish back I had caught, only to see it die anyway and float to the top. I felt SO bad. I NEVER can fish for sport; it must be to eat it. And oh will I. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think what this guy is doing is great! Good for him and he should be applauded for thinking before he puts any old crap in his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may be surprised that as a vegan, I actually totally agree with you, and Mark Zuckerberg. Being more connected to the sources of our food is a vast improvement over the standard convenience food diet the western world partakes in. In fact, I think the person who raises their own animals for food, from an environmental perspective, is less harmful than a vegan who eats only processed packaged food. That's why I love CSA :D

    ReplyDelete