Friday, May 21, 2010

Just a question today...

I'm pondering something, and I don't quite have an answer. These companies that I am talking about here... sure, they are definitely greenwashing, but does the end here justify the means? Is it helping? Is it a move in the right direction?

Sure, I think we can spend our dollars more wisely, and smaller companies with a REAL green agenda are better... I guess I just don't see enough of a change, and I think we're running out of time. Especially with the BP... "thing." I don't even know what to call it.

Just throwing that out there for all of us to think about, because I'm really not sure myself. I'll just keep picking at them for now. I'm sure they can handle it.

1 comment:

  1. It is a tough call. Corporations aren't going to change overnight. However if they put out a truly green product and people buy it, then they'll put out more in the future. If they change their practices so they are a little greener and it saves them money, they will change more.

    Let's look at the corporation everyone loves to hate - Walmart. I read that they are looking at saving $3 Billion each year due to their green efforts. We don't see all of these efforts as consumers. They have done things such as requiring product manufacturers to ship products with 25% less packaging, developed more efficient trucking routes, recycle shipping materials. They also have programs that require Thai shrimpers to replant Mangroves along the shores. They are converting their stores to solar, wind and fuel cell power generation, turning down lights and using skylights. It is a lot of little things that add up.

    Do they have a lot of ways to go? Yes but they aren't going to do it overnight. The same goes for any company out there. As consumers we should encourage them to go further and this means acknowledging where they have succeeded and complaining where they haven't.

    Each product and company needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. You can't just dismiss them wholesale.

    ReplyDelete