Saturday, September 29, 2012

Instant Kids

I worry. I worry about kids. I don't have any kids, which is good, because I really worry about kids. And if I had kids... well, I wouldn't worry so much about my kids, because it would be likely my kids would not be Instant Kids. Well, they would try, but I would not let them.

We are creating a whole generation of Instant Kids. Kids who think that everything is right there and right at their fingertips and RIGHT NOW, and worst of all, free. Nothing has value when everything is instant and free. The Internet that I too love and use so much is of course responsible for a lot of this. Need some information, a picture, an idea? Look it up. Use it. I'm not saying it's a bad thing... who doesn't love being able to get instant directions instead of getting lost, or looking at a MAP fer' cryin' out loud? Information is a good thing. It's when those expectations branch out into everything else that it gets... undesirable.

How does Mother Nature have a hope against all this instant gratification? TV on demand and available NOW, when I want it. I can't wait, I need it now now now. Microwaves for food with crap in it that our bodies cannot recognize, I don't care I'm hungry I want it now now now. Cook? Bake?? Surely, you jest. Fast food restaurants open all the time. Food in fridge gone bad? So what, I can go to the store now now now and thrown this out and get new. Oh and then I see a fast food joint so I eat there now now now and bring the stuff I bought home and it goes bad too because it wasn't instant enough. Instant oatmeal, instant lunch, instant rice, instant coffee, now now now... Plan ahead? I don't have time! I want it now!

Hey I missed that, can you go back? Sure! no need to pay attention the first time, our DVRs catch it all. Same with music, DVDs, anything. Do I use these things? Of course. But then I remember the Before-time, when, if you missed it, you were SOL. So we paid attention, and we valued experiences, things. We are not raising kids to value anything. Cell phones? I need to call someone now now now. Text. Now. Don't have to wait til you get home to make a call. Get a glass of water. Watch something. You can do that, all of that, now now now.

I'm a part of this society. I have a microwave, of course I do. I have a cell phone, of course I do. I use the internet. Duh, obviously. I am instant, too. But not always. And I lament that these kids will be all Instant. That they will never know how to grown something. Or cook something. Or have to wait for something, so that when something comes along that is worth waiting for, they will not wait, and they will miss out.

We HAVE to teach these kids to wait. To value. To appreciate. I fear, if we do not, we will be lost. THEY will be lost. They will be swallowed in a sea of plastic and they will never have what they should havem what I have...

Appreciation for this world in which I live...

6 comments:

  1. That is a true difference between religious upbringing. Of course we have a dvd player, we have a microwave, and cellphones BUT our son, is being pagan raised. So he knows that when you see a fairy ring you remove your shoes and try to walk on the outside of it (if you can of course). He also has had a hand in growing his own veggies during the summer. We don't have cable somethings had to be downsized a few years ago and that was the first to go. You are right, things are even easier than they were when I was a kid. If I wanted to have a sandwich I had to get all the makings out and make them, now you can run to the store and grab it ready made. Yes it saves time, but what are we doing with the time we save? Are we making the most of it or are we tuning out. Adults are going instant a bit faster than our kids, and you are right, if we don't slow down and show them...they will never know. As always love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Instant kids ALSO are not learning to read a clock (the ones with hands on them), calculate how much change to give back unless a machine tells them exactly how much to give or spits the change out for them - pre-counted, spell properly, form a complete sentence, work and earn to save money for something special they want to have, read a map, write a receipt, you name it...it is very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You guys are awesome. And I forgot the part about instantly downloading music instead of having to wait to go to the store to buy the album. Downloading is greener, for sure.... but...? Aren't some things worth the anticipation? Polly, you are so right on, and Rowan, I also say that about time, sure we save it with certain things, nut then we do nothing with it.

      Delete
  3. I look forward to your posts. This one is right on. I am fortunate, I raised my children before everything was instant, it was just beginning. Now I am trying to teach my grand kids about slowness. I grow some of my own food and am teaching them about the natural world we live in. They enjoy finding a single ripe strawberry or digging potatoes. We walk everywhere rather than drive so we can appreciate what's out there. I do worry about them when they reach school age and are more influenced by their peers, but at least they have a chance. It is easier I think for them because we live in a semi-rural area where there is much to do outdoors..away from TV and all the video games that are so popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You give me reasons to keep writing. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  4. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. followiz

    ReplyDelete