Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Planet - Cuz It'll Be On It Forever

So I get this sample of this 100% biodegradable heavy duty hypo-allergenic not-tested-on-animals 2x Ultra laundry detergent, 2 load sample, called "Planet". I'm looking at the bottle right now. The small plastic bottle. The small strong thick plastic bottle. I've seen their products around. They come in plastic bottles. I went to their site to find out a little more about them. Here's a fun quote: "The name Planet was arrived at when a child of one of the founding partners suggested that it would be a great name for a company that genuinely cared about the environment."

Gotta say, I can't really take seriously a product called Planet that comes in bottles that will only harm the planet. When you go to the FAQs, they kind of dance around that with the whole thing that it's hard far a small business to find good packaging etc etc blah blah blah and on. The bottle DOES, in all fairness, ask you to please recycle. That fixes pretty much everything. Yeah. Of course.

Now, this is an OK product. And if there were NO other alternatives and you could NOT avoid buying something in plastic, then hey! Sure! Go for it! And pay too much while you are at it! Oh and it's great for your HE machine too! You know, the one that get's to stinkin' every so often? But there ARE alternatives. Really good ones. I have written about them. We do NOT need packaging in plastic. So, they can call this stuff whatever they want, but I will not buy it, I will not recommend it. Seventh Generation is at least experimenting with alternative packaging. Not that I use that either. My stuff has next to no packaging, except the box they come in. My stuff from that one box lasts like a year. This stuff lasts... even months? I don't know. 

Don't call yourself all great and harmless, if you aren't 100% there. I know I'm not, personally, but I'm trying. This... well, take a look at images of landfills and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and tell me again how to justify adding more plastic to either. I don't. Do you? This product does. It just plain does. It may be superior to that other stuff that is not biodegradable and hypo-allergenic and not tested on animals, sure. But it's not absolved. Not even a little.

Harsh? Eh.

2 comments:

  1. So true. Until I began to use homemade laundry products I bought my detergent in a plastic bottle from the local whole foods coop. I could return with the bottle to re-fill it so I at least didn't have to toss the bottle. If we are stuck with having to use plastic we can at least buy the product where we can get it re-filled each time we need more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award. Please go to http://cauldronawitchesjourney.blogspot.com/
    and check it out. :)

    Stevie

    ReplyDelete