Sunday, August 5, 2012

I Feel Rude, but Justified

I'm really not, especially compared to other people in this town/country/world, but sometimes I feel rude even when I'm not being really THAT rude. Apartment living's bigger pain in the ass: shared laundry. I'm one of those that will see someone's finished stuff in the washer or dryer and give them the benefit of a little bit more time to get their stuff. It's a small building and we only have 2 of each machines. I can wait a bit most times.

Nicer than ours, frankly
Today, I went all the way down there (we are as far as you can get from the laundry room, so I just consider it good exercise and great stair-climbing) more than once, and I gave them at least an hour. No go. Still in the washers. I was done being patient. It's funny, I am always prepared to feel sheepish should the offending washer-hog burst in on my touching their stuff. I even considered putting an apology note. "Sorry, I waited as long as I could" kind of thing. But wait - aren't they the ones being rude by not being on top of their laundry, in a building on a day when laundry's gonna get done by lots?

Why am I worried about being rude when they aren't at all concerned?

As I remove their stuff and put it... elsewhere... I notice they have done both loads in hot water. This is not necessary. Pretty much ever. Everyone knows that. The only thing hot water does is waste energy. So now this person has wasted my time and some of that energy out there that we all use/need/pay for.

I feel justified. And I don't feel nearly as bad that I dropped an item on the floor for a second.

Now, if  you'll excuse me, I have to check my laundry, as I dream like I always do about my someday-laundry-room of my very own. It'll be magnificent. And chemical-free, thank you, please.

4 comments:

  1. Not rude love just honest, it is rude to hog the washers when on the weekend most of your neighbors will need to do their laundry too. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not rude at all... justified. I've done it many times! And that laundry room of your future?? Sounds glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree you were not rude at all.. now, when are you moving back home to the East Coast where you belong? ;) (I'm going to keep bugging you until you get here.. this is the second football season starting without you! *sniffle*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not rude at all. I think it's perfectly acceptable, and I would have appreciated someone taking them out for me.

    ReplyDelete