Sunday, July 15, 2012

Econundrum #2: Plastic Stuff

It was actually the husband that got sick of them before I did.... all those plastic bowls and storage things in our kitchen. We had been acquiring metal bowls slowly but surely, and finally there was just no more room for both sets. I was managing, but the husband couldn't take it any longer. I came home to the plastic bowls all sitting out in another room. A small part of me resisted for just a moment, thinking, "Wait! I still use those!!!" (I'm dangerously close to being on of those people who has a hard time getting rid of stuff. I watch "Hoarders" just to keep myself in line.)

Someone else' cupboard. I feel their pain
But now the dilemma. Here they sit. I don't quite know what to do with them! They are still useful. They aren't broken or anything. They still function. But I really can't think of who would want them, and I am certainly not going to throw them away. Thrift store donation???? I guess. What else is there?

Ah, the mending of ways. Turning back is hard. It definitely reminds me that all we can do is go forward, try to not ADD to the problems out there. We can't take them back. These bowls exist in my home, and these problems exist in our world. Neither will just disappear.

So... days later... here sit the bowls. The husband asked what we were going to do with them. My answer was, "I have no idea." I guess the thrift store is going to be the answer. Maybe at least they'll get a little bit more use. Meanwhile, for my part, I simply won't buy any more. And when I am at that thrift store, I'm going to pick up some glass and Pyrex and Corningware!

Then, I'll have even more plastic to oust from my kitchen. Someday, it'll all be gone. Someday!

5 comments:

  1. As the guilty husband in this sordid tale, I would just like to say that this is all Good Green Witch's fault. She opened my eyes to the evils of plastic and I thank her for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww shucks. :) But still they sit there. LOL

      Delete
  2. When I began to eliminate my plastic items I too couldn't decide how to get rid of the plastic storage containers. Finally, I gave them to people with leftovers in them, and told them they didn't have to return it as I didn't need it. Even though I don't want the plastic other people will still use it and buy it, so I look at it as saving them some money to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is the awesomest idea ever. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. We have a hard time because people keep GIVING us plastic stuff. I'm new to the anti-plastic world, and I want to start using ceramic and glass more (having worked for a Corning Revere store for a while, I grew to love Pyrex and Corning products!) and I'm afraid of what will happen to the plastics in my house when we phase them out. Donations will happen, but eventually they'll end up elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete