Saturday, December 31, 2011

Not Fit For Human Exposure

And by that, I mean me.

It's amazing how a simple shopping stop can be so trying. I don't mind crowds, I don't mind traffic. What I mind is looking around at people in check-out lines and seeing just how much plastic is going on around me. Here I am in a not-quite-Whole-Foods-but-actually-better store, a more natural store where the more health-conscious types shop... good meats, nice produce, lots and lots of homeopathic type stuff. And yet... The woman in front of me gets everything double-bagged. This, while every single little bit of produce is in it's own plastic bag. I don't bag things like the kale I grabbed; it doesn't need to go in one. Neither does my spinach. It was all I could do to maintain a civil expression on my face. I almost asked why she didn't feel the need to put her bananas in a separate produce bag. (I didn't.)

Other checkout lines... more produce bags. More plastic bags. It's a Saturday. Were people not planning to stop at the store? Where are the reusables?

I thought we were further than this. I thought we were making progress. I thought I was in a store surrounded by educated people who cared about stuff. They have a whole section of gluten-free, for crying out loud! Are we not advanced?

I guess not. Maybe I just shouldn't go out in public anymore. maybe I just need to not look around at anything or anyone. Maybe... ah, never mind. Maybe 2012 will be better. Maybe we'll learn something. Maybe people will start to hear as well as listen.

Maybe.


1 comment:

  1. I hear you. Going into a mainstream store is downright depressing, and sometimes the ones you expect to be better really aren't. I think one reason is that people shop for natural foods for different reasons. A lot of people may be primarily concerned with their own health, not sustainability, whereas other people have combined personal/sustainability reasons. The second group is much more likely to refuse that extra plastic bag.

    More consciousness would definitely help, but I'm also in favor of more regulation. San Jose's plastic bag ban just went into action yesterday. We'll see if it encourages neighboring cities to do the same!

    ReplyDelete