Saturday, November 24, 2012

Help with This One...

I love candles. Love love love them. I have some burning a really soft glow at my desk right now. Eco-friendly? Depends upon what they are made from, I guess. Some say soy candles are great. I say no, soy is very GMO. Beeswax works for me, but the vegans will say no to that one. I just buy candles. Good-smelling, inexpensive candles. I love the gentle smell and the soft glow.

The latest trend lately has been flameless candles. I'm a fire sign, so burning candles with actual fire is fine by me. I don't have kids to eff with them, and I place them out of range of my cats.

I'm not sure about flameless candles. They are pretty. I guess they have plastic parts, which is not great. When they are done being useful or stop working, they got to Ever Ever Land. Regular candles at least mostly get consumed. These... just stick around. And here's the part that gets me more: they can take 2 AA batteries or 4 AAA batteries. And while they are usually LED and take very little energy and do not actually burn through batteries quickly (pun intended), they are still using batteries. Which also stay in Ever Ever Land. And I don't know a whole lot of people using rechargeable. Oh, and some come with remotes. Gimme a break on that one. Remotes for candles.

In researching these, they seem very nice. They do last a long time, they take very little energy, and many are made of actual wax and emit a soft aroma. Actually, I had to laugh at a complaint I saw... apparently sometimes they flicker, then they'll go really bright for a few seconds, then resume flickering. THIS is your gripe?? Sigh. But anyway, I thought with the battery use they were a big bad idea, but now I am not so sure. Might they be better than candles? Candles have soot... candles can be made from bad stuff... I really just don't know on this one.

Those little fake plastic votives they use in restaurants now? Ick. Always hate those. Those really are just chunks of useless plastic and I cannot condone.

Thoughts? What say you? Fan of the flameless, just for certain areas, feel safer with them around? Maybe that's it. Maybe for just certain spots, and keep the other ones around too. Maybe it's a world where we have both. Let me know what you think...

Still can't quite take the FOUR AAA batteries per candle....

3 comments:

  1. As a person who loves fire, I love having the real deal. When I see the battery operated ones they sorta just make me cringe. I'm not sure how eco friendly they are, or if batteries are going to cause a huge deal. But, I just don't like them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends... I have 3 kids, and a cat that can get at my candles. I love love love real candles, but they are not always appropriate on those very chaotic nights. I have been given these battery operated lights, and some are very very nice! Others not so much. I got a pretty set that had the real wax smelled so pretty but when I went to check the batteries to get new ones they took those really annoying small flat batteries. And it didn't last to long. I have others that take the double or triple A batteries, and I like that much better. They last a long time, and smell nice. And we are getting a brand new battery charger so we can keep up with the consumption of batteries in this house. So I prefer those. But personally....Even if my batteries die in the batteries and I don't replace them, I still keep them as decorations. I love how they looks so it is not going in the trash anytime soon. I get plenty of other candles that are real and use them when the kids are actually giving me a nice night of semiquiet.... lol. The only thing that I think is bad about these, is for the people that are picky about how they work, and get the sets that do not take double or triple A batteries and just toss them when they are done. They need to stop making those types I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definately NOT a fan... How bad they are environmentally, is hard to say. I just think they look tacky. I know they have nice ones out there, but to me, nothing compares to a real candle. I have them all over the house. If the kids are up and running about, I just don't keep them lit.

    We have so many artificial products out there, this is just one more, killing the real stuff.

    Sighh.

    ReplyDelete