Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Look Around

Look around your kitchen. How much plastic surrounds you? I can't help but look around my kitchen and wonder what I can replace with something that's NOT plastic. Some things are easier than others. Some things maybe only came into being with plastic. What did we use before we HAD plastic stuff to use? Let's think about it.

Toaster... plastic. Let me get a metal one next time. I'm so tired of buying a cheap plastic thing, only for it to break after just a few years. Give me a sturdy toaster that will last decades, with someone to repair it, too, when it does break. Hand beater? Plastic crap! They are terrible. I mix by hand when I can, and maybe a big old KitchenAid mixer is the way to go... with counter space, of course. Those things used to last forever. Pay a little more? It lasts longer and you aren't laying out the money all over again in 2 years. Didn't vacuum cleaners used to be metal? And repairable? Now they are all plastic pieces of crap, and when something breaks, go get a new one. 'Cuz plastic can't be repaired.

Sure, those are the big things. What I really meant to get into was all those little things that add up. I'm slowly but surely coming out of my plastic ways and replacing with better materials. Big spoons, stirring spoons and spatulas etc? We do NOT need plastic. For cast iron, a metal spatula is great. For enameled wares, bamboo is perfect. For how much sauce I cook? Bamboo doesn't stain! Repeat that: Bamboo does not stain. And it's durable. And inexpensive. And biodegradable. And it grows plentifully and without pesticides. Measuring cups? Why are those plastic? Metal, for sure. And Pyrex. Measuring spoons? Metal. Why did we start buying these things as plastic? Cheaper? Fun colors? I don't know. These are things we can keep around the kitchen for a LONG time; there is no need to go cheap plastic. Plastic stains. Plastic holds odors. Plastic melts. Case in point: you have a turkey baster in there, don't you? Most of us do. What do you squeeze all up into that? Boiling hot oils, right? What do we know about plastic now? Hot liquids leach chemicals out of it. We've been serving our gravies with chemicals. How do you feel about that? Did you know you can find inexpensive glass basters? Of course the squeeze past is still silicone or rubber, but the tube is much better. Scared of glass in your kitchen? Get out. Now. Remember those metal ice cube trays? Remember they were kind of a giant pain in the ass? But remember we still used them? And we survived, and we still had ice, and we didn't die? Many people have ice makers on the fridge anyway, but really, those plastic trays? They break, they get to smelling... they are convenient but not necessary. Pause for a moment to think how many of them have ended up in the trash over the years...

We're phasing out all our plastic containers and replacing them with Pyrex. Or jars that I save. I can't wait to have a big old pantry just filled with jars. I can't wait to have no more plastic in my kitchen where there is a better product to use. Salt & pepper shakers.... pepper mill... all these little things... they add up. What can you phase out of your kitchen to make it a better, healthier room?

4 comments:

  1. Only thing in your list that you mentioned that we have that has plastic is our toaster. It was a wedding gift to us twelve years ago. When it no longer works, we'll probably replace it with a toaster oven. No sign of it dying yet though.

    My spoons, spatulas, turners, servers and mashers are all metal, bamboo or silicon with metal handles. I think there is one plastic spoon in there that someone left here a few years ago. Always had metal and glass measuring cups and spoons. Only 4 plastic cups in the house. Those were a gift as well and HDPE Tupperware. They are over 10 years old and will last the rest of my life and longer. My mother still uses Tupperware purchased by her mother in the 50s.

    I don't think I have a turkey baster. I've always used a ladle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome, Wayne Luke! Would that more people were as aware as are you. I'd be out of stuff to talk about!

      Delete
  2. I got rid of most plastic things that come into contact with food many years ago when I learned about the synthetic estrogens that they can leach into food. People thought I was totally nuts, but I'd carry around a glass bottle of water, and bought Pyrex and Corningware containers to use for leftovers. And I suddenly went from having 3-4 migraines a month to 3-4 per year!

    Recently I've been trying to take it one step further and deal with the lids issue. It's not that I'm so worried about plastic in lids, but they break, or melt or disintegrate and then you're sort of screwed. So I still have my glass leftover containers, but I save the ones with plastic airtight lids for the freezer.

    For the fridge I went to the thrift store and got a bunch of old Pyrex casseroles with glass lids. They're WONDERFUL, and I got them all really cheap! And for everything in the cupboards I use glass mason jars.

    And I totally agree on the small stuff too... I only use metal or wood/bamboo utensils, bowls, measuring cups etc. So much nicer and they don't break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also been on a purge of plastic items in my home. What I have left in the kitchen are two small bowls, and the outside of my juicer is plastic. When I was 9 years old my grandfather purchased a toaster oven, when he died I was 40 and the toaster still worked like a charm,no plastic anywhere on it!

    ReplyDelete