Friday, April 12, 2013

Can You Pronounce What's in It? If Not, Don't Use It.

If you can't pronounce it, maybe you should put it on your skin. I think that's a pretty damn simple rule by which to live. Your skin absorbs everything right on in to the rest of you. So if a chemical compound is so complex that you can't pronounce it, how can it be good?

I was watching some TV with my cousin, and a commercial for Vaseline Spray & Go came on. We were intrigued. I, of course, because I had to look it up immediately to see what was in it. Sure enough...

WATER, ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE, GLYCERIN, SORBITAN, ISOSTEARATE, DIMETHICONE, FRAGRANCE, AVENA SATIVA (OAT), STRAW EXTRACT, POLYGLYCERYL-3, DISOSTEARATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, CARBOMER, XANTHAN, GUM, AMMONIUM, ACRYLOYDIMETHYLTAURATE/VP, COPOLYMER, STEARIC ACID, DIHYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, DISODIUM EDTA, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, LACTIC ACID.

 Look: bottom line, there is really no reason to use all these chemicals to moisturize. There are PLENTY of natural products out there. I know this one is super-wonderful because you don't have to actually get it on your hands, but then that's something you can tell yourself when you are too sick with whatever illness/disease these chemicals will give you to even care about some slightly dry skin. Or your children. Or their children. You think when we realize all this crap over the years has been causing cancer in kids that anyone will care that it was just easier and more convenient for you to use?



Vaseline® Spray & Go™ Moisturizer is a line of quick, convenient spray lotions that moisturize deeply and absorb in seconds.  The revolutionary continuous spray-system dispenses lotion quickly and evenly for allover coverage.  The unique formula includes Stratys-3™ multi-layer moisture so lotion absorbs into skin with a few quick rubs.   Skin is instantly moisturized, not greasy or sticky.


Another dead give-away: They made up a "thing." Don't you ever wonder when they throw brand-new terms at you, those little things they copyrighted? "Stratys-3"??? WTH is that?

You know, don't bother. I'm good.

3 comments:

  1. There's a new book out called, Veganissimo A-Z, which is great at explaining what ingredients in many products are. I have come across words that sound bad but actually are healthy and vice-versa so this book helps me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please elucidate. I can't think of anything that I cannot pronounce that I need to put in my body, but I am open to discussion.

      Delete
    2. Some of those sea vegetables are hard to pronounce and I find myself having to look them up to make sure they are vegan healthy, like:

      Hijiki
      Nori (aka porphyra, laver)
      Arame (aka Eisenia bycyclis)
      Sea Palms real name Postelsia Palmaeformis
      Wakame (aka alaria, undaria)
      Irish Moss real name chondrus crispus, carrageen

      Some may look simple, but I'm not sure how to pronounce many of the vowels as long or short vowel sound.

      I guess no one "needs" these foods, but they, to my understanding, are very healthy natural foods.

      Delete