Thursday, October 11, 2012

I've Seen Enough. Just Shoot Me Now.

Someone somewhere was talking about hard boiled eggs. My former co-worker when I had a job would bring in hard boiled eggs. Great snack, good basis for a lunch. Got a bunch of eggs and the are about to go over to the dark side? Hard-boil them and you got lots more use out of them. Egg salad? Yum. Deviled eggs? One of my favorites. Super yum. Husband hates them; I rarely have them. Here's a funny thing about me: I worked in some very fine restaurants as a sous chef, and I was pretty damn good. I made a chicken piccata, make you weep. Scampi? Mmmm. I could do it all. But I have never mastered the perfect hard boiled eggs. They are inevitable underdone or done to the point of green. You know what I mean, when they yolk is just plain angry. Or they will not peel properly. But, yeah, I, a fairly accomplished professional chef at one time, cannot boil an egg to save my life.

And yet, and still, I would never. Ever. EVER. Never never never in my entire life, even DREAM of buying... wait for it... pre-shelled, packaged hard-boiled eggs.

I am finding it hard to believe that these exist. Then, I have to remember that they only exist because people ACTUALLY BUY THEM.

Somewhere, there was a demand for this product. Yeah. They even have a Trader Joe's brand. (See, I knew there were multiple reasons I stay out of that place...) "They're great when you're in a hurry!" "My husband loves them for his lunch!" "They're convenient!" (of course) "We save energy by not boiling them ourselves a few time a week, and by buying these instead."

No. No, no, no. No. Eggs come in a really great container (so long as you stick with the paper one, not the Styrofoam kind), and seriously, you can boil them at once one day and have them for the rest of the week. It's not difficult. I can come up with not one excuse to introduce this plastic packaging into to environment. Not one. If you can, please let me know. Because I sure cannot.

"I have a hard time peeling them!" No. "I don't have time." Nope. "I eat them more often since they come so easy like this!" No no no. If you have to resort to this, just skip it altogether. Really. You obviously do not need it that badly.

If you ever see me buying these, you have every permission to beat me silly. I'm not too worried. I'd have to have had a lobotomy to have these in my cart. These make about as much sense as buying packaged pre-peeled bananas. There is no reason to send this packaging into the ocean. None. I can't stress it enough. If I ever see someone buying these... let's just say, maybe it's better that I limit my exposure to public places. I'm OK with that.

The fact that these have apparently been around for a few years just goes to show how little I look for this stuff. It does not even occur to me that this is a fillable niche.

What about you?




6 comments:

  1. The only reason I can see to buy these is if you have severe arthritis or some other dexterity impairment, and you love eggs. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to go with loaves of pre-made toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shows you how much I shop, I've never seen these. I would have had the same reaction you did. Earlier this year I was at the store when I spotted a banana slicer in the produce dept. Needless to say I wasn't alone and made my opinion without thinking about others. Fortunately, those who heard me stopped to tell me they agreed with my opinion. So we can't slice a banana or peel an egg. Boy are we in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard boiled eggs are easy!
    1. Put eggs in pan with water to cover.
    2. Boil water.
    3. Once the water is boiling, turn down to simmer, set timer for 10-12 minutes. I find at 10 minutes, the yolks are still slightly moist, but not runny AT ALL. At 12 minutes, they are very firm, but not yet green.
    I, too, used to suck at boiling eggs, but I found these procedures and they work like a champ. My son LOVES hard boiled eggs, so I had to learn how to do them right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can only imagine the preservatives added to prevent these from spoiling.

    ReplyDelete