Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just Once Bitten

The Good Green Witch is a fraud. Yep, I am a big old fake-a-roo. Why would I say that? Because I still wear make-up. I do. I haven't given it up. I don't plan to. What I wear is very very minimal and I try to get better at what I buy, but my big old failing that makes me cringe every time is... lip color. Yeah yeah I still use it. If you look in my purse (please don't!), you will find several - GASP! - containers of gunk in little plastic junk-tubes. I am a sucker for the ads, and I love thinking about which ones to purchase. I stand in the cosmetics aisle staring at them all, trying to not pay too much... wondering over colors... and most recently I succumbed to Revlon's latest offering. I am full of shame. This new product, Just Bitten, has wonderful ads and promises lasting color. Lipstain on one end and balm on the other and a whole lot of plastic in between. Oh, and I'm sure, plenty of petro-chemicals all through. I hang my head.

This innocent-looking little tube is pretty much pointless. The "stain" is not very stain-y. It's no better than anything else out there, it goes away easily, and it really isn't even very colorful in the shade I chose. Shame on me. And what happens when we buy one of these and find it's just not right? Well, we can return it, sure, but then what? It still gets thrown away. Boo. I am ashamed. I WILL use this until it is gone, because I have it now and I may as well, but it has become way past time to change my ways.

Onto the Internet I went. What would Beth Terry do??? (LOL I may have to use that a LOT. Someone tell her. Hah!) Surely a gal can still have her silly pretty-stuff without being all Evil Plastic Girl. I found something that I cannot wait to try - as soon as it gets here... I'm stalking the mail carrier. It's vegan (even though I am not!), it's natural, and it comes in a METAL container, which apparently I can send back for refills, or, knowing me, use for something else. I can be Queen of Re-Use when it's not some un-re-useable lipstick tube. It should be here any day, and it wasn't even expensive. I swear I'll give a report the minute I try it.

So, there ARE alternatives. We just have to look around a little. I can't (don't want to) give up my stained-lips habit. At least I can try to find a better way to have my lips and stain them too. That's all I'm really asking... that we TRY a little harder. I am. Can you?

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about this tonight!

    Mostly, I don't wear any makeup. Only for dress up. When I do, I color my lips with a lip liner pencil and then put lip gloss (glass container with metal lid) on top. No plastic and looks just the same as colored lip gloss.

    What's your new special lip thingie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually found it by a link on YOUR blog (!!), and as soon as I get it, I'll let everyone know what it is and if it's for real and for good.

    I'm a mostly dusting of powder and eye liner pencil only kinda person, but yeah, feel better and more dressed with lips done too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have our vices and it is okay, but like you said - there ARE alternatives and we just need to put in the extra effort to find them. Like when I was looking for something other than tins for the lip balm I sell - and I found those paper tubes made from recycled paper and supposedly compostable - NO plastic involved! Though I remembered when I saw them that Beth had written about them on her blog ages ago. Duh, Yancy! ;)

    Anyway....there are companies willing to cater to our plastic-shunning peeps - we just have to tirelessly search for them!

    ReplyDelete