Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Quaker Oatmeal - Made So Convenient

Uh oh, You know what THAT word means...

Not even sure where I saw these. But... hot cereal, Quaker Oatmeal Real Medleys, in convenient and easy single serve cups, just add hot water. Oh, let me guess. The cups are plastic. Yeah, buddy. Get 'em in a 12-pack so you can REALLY get the plastic out there!

PepsiCo owns Quaker, just in case you didn't know. And, you know, they make this great product just for us! Because they care SO MUCH! They even pin it right on women in their press release: "Today, women are busier than ever before, and in the morning time crunch, a nourishing breakfast is either skipped or sacrificed for food that's convenient, but maybe not as desirable," said Andrew Sutherland, Senior Director of Marketing, Quaker Foods & Snacks North America. "New Quaker Real Medleys are perfect for women who want to start their mornings with a wholesome and delicious oatmeal breakfast that adds a little extra flavor and fun in a convenient, portable cup."

When, oh when, pray tell, are we going to get off the notion that we are SO busy that we have carte-blanche to trash the planet? Are we ever going to realize that this is NOT the thing to do? That actions matter? That if you have/want kids, maybe you should stop trashing their home? That throwing something "away" just means it goes somewhere you don't see? That we can't keep going like this??? I've said it before, I'll say it again: I might give a pass if, with all our busy-busy-busy, we were actually doing anything POSITIVE in the world, or, if with all our time-saving conveniences, we were making the world a better place.... But, news flash... we're so not.

I'll keep pointing out the stupidity and harmfulness of these things til I run out of products.

I don't think I have to worry about running out of products any time soon.

A reviewer on Amazon pointed out that the cups aren't even the #1 or 2 plastic. They are made from 7. & is not easily recycled yet. So... until such time as communities have the wherewithal to recycle #7, where do we think these cups are going? In some *convenient* holding facility to just sit there and collect and wait til the technology is in place and someone really really can't wait to get their hands on them? NO. They are going in landfills and the OCEANS. PERIOD.

Ugh. I'm done, I can't even say anymore about it. It just never ends. I'm completely overwhelmed at the thought of the millions of these cups entering the trash stream for no good reason at all. Can we just stop?

There is so much sugar and so many chemicals in them and calories and crap that they aren't really even that healthy. And boiling hot water in a #7 plastic cup? Let me think about what is leaching into your oh-so-convenient healthy oatmeal.

Think about that, then go get pregnant, and eat more. Then come talk to us when your child has cancer.

Harsh?

Yeah? What's your point?

2 comments:

  1. Great job highlighting the problems with this product. But you missed two. :-)
    First, I grew up on oatmeal, the long cooking kind as with most foods, when I tried the instant packets (which have been around for years) I found they didn't even taste like real food...they are gross...Who wants to eat this stuff that doesn't resemble in taste, texture or make up real food.
    Second, it takes just as long to make the long cooking oatmeal as it does to heat a pot of water. So where is the convenience other than the soaking/washing of the pan or dishes after. It takes even less time if you soak the oats overnight or cook them overnight in a slow cooker.
    So where exactly is the convenience? It's not in preparation, it's in the clean up for all those people who love their disposable dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the product trying to sell itself to women very patronising.
    I do buy something similar, but it comes in a paper packet and take my own non-disposable container.
    It's a hard decision, though, sometimes. I get up at 6 o'clock in morning for work, and feel too tired to eat at that time. I have a break at around 9 or 10am at work, and that is when I have my breakfast. So I have to take something with me. These plastic bowls are ridiculous, though and I would never get them.

    ReplyDelete